Lesser Town Square

The main square of the Lesser Town was created as a marketplace on the crossroad between the Prague Castle and the only Prague bridge over Vltava River at that time; the current borders of the open space have been determined in 1257 along with the promotion of the settlement to a town. In the 17th century the square was divided into two parts by a monumental central block of the St. Nicholas Church and the adjoining Jesuit College; whereas the lower part has maintained its civil, residential character, the upper part of the square became a calm and palatial aristocratic area below the royal quarters. The square has maintained this two-sided character until the present day. The lower part of the square suffers today, as many other memorable places in the metropolis, from excessive road and tram traffic.


počet návštěvníků stránek:

 – Počítadlo.cz           Provoz webu zajišťuje www.internetportal.cz